What is ISO 14001?
ISO 14001 or an Environment Management System (EMS) is a tool formanaging the impacts of an organisation’s activities on the environment. It isa pro-active approach, and allows business to consider environmental issuesbefore they become a problem. ISO 14001 exists to allow businesses to establish those operations thathave a negative impact on the environment and to minimise these as determinednecessary. Thus it can be a powerful tool for businesses to both improve theirenvironmental performance, and enhance their business efficiency.
What are thebenefits of having ISO14001?
- Its Cost effective ? reduces utility bills and waste streams.
- Higher control of risk and better planning.
- Ensures compliance with environmental legislation.
- Builds awareness of environmental concern amongst employees.
- Improved corporate image with customers and the public.
- Reduce environmental liability.
Not having ISO14001 may bea barrier to working with certain businesses e.g. Government bodies, localauthorities and some commercial businesses who will prefer their suppliers tobe ISO14001 registered